Τετάρτη 30 Οκτωβρίου 2013

--> The first RAW sample shots from Nokia Lumia !

http://adf.ly/YV3KT
 
Well… that’s a lot faster than I expected. Over at Nokia Conversations they just posted a great story and I think some astonishing shots from the “new” Nokia Lumia 1020, running on the new “Black” update. Their story is titled Another Nokia First: Digital Negatives for Lumia. I’ll give just you some quote and share a few shots.

Juha Alakarhu – head of imaging technologies at Nokia - is very excited, of course: ““This is one of the most exciting announcements of the week for me personally. It has been a key request from so many of our users for a long time now. People who are passionate about photography can be more creative and do more with the images from their Lumia than ever before.”

And he’s not alone. Adobe’s reaction: “Adobe is excited to see Nokia be the first to bring advanced, raw imaging technology to the smart phone market by utilizing the openly documented Digital Negative (DNG) format as part of their leadership efforts,” said Winston Hendrickson, vice president of products, Creative Media Solutions, Adobe. 
 
“By adding DNG support within the Nokia Lumia 1020 and Lumia 1520, Nokia is dramatically improving the artistic control and flexibility available to their customers.” 
I can only urge you to read their post in full, I have to refrain myself from quoting just about everything, since I really believe bringing the RAW format to smartphone photography is the most important innovation of this year!

Here’s a screenshot from the three different options you get in the new settings menu.


More important I think, are the four shots Nokia is sharing in this post. You’ll see the resized versions of the 5MP originals below. I will link to the originals as well, but you will have to go to the post to see the RAW files (in DNG format) Nokia has shared online.

These are more than 40MB (!) each, and they write you’ll need Photoshop or Lightroom to open them, but I’ve noticed Picasa can handle these files as well. The first three shots are made by Juha Alakarhu during his visit to Abu Dhabi.




And this shot is from Nokia’s Kristina Björknäs, captured during her trip in Thailand.


No I don’t have the possibility (yet) to work with RAW files, but I took the liberty to look at the lovely shot of the cat in some detail – from the 5MP version that is. First a crop from the eye, where Kristina focussed most likely.



Next, a crop from the far left side of the shot, to see if there’s any change in the now infamous ”softness” – and I do believe the shot is quite detailed here – I can at least still make out the texture of the wall’s paint.


Last, a shot from the cat’s tail, which is a bit more in the back of the picture – it’s just outside the depth of the focus area and that ‘s why it’s not as sharp, but some will no doubt think it has to do with the softness issue.


I’m not the expert here. I’m just delighted and excited to see the first shots coming from the future Nokia Lumia 1020/1520, I’m really looking forward to what the experts in this field think about it – especially Bigs and Peter Meijs, but of course everybody’s opinion is welcome below!

Update: it appears the Dropbox links as provided by Nokia are now over quota. I’m trying to get the raw DNG files and find a way to share them to interested club members. I was already smart enough to download the Thai cat for you, as featured in this post. I hope you’ll all be able to download it from here (within two weeks).
 
Source: pureviewclub.com

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου